Monday, June 13, 2011

14th Storey Window Ledges and Other Tales...

And so, after a too-long break as I re-attuned myself to what passes for normal life around here, I fling myself back into fiction.

To put my dreams on paper and assemble them rationally.

To collect my unsorted ideas, themes and musings and string them on a single thread.

To dish out cold revenge on characters of my own creation.

To invent things that nobody ever invented before and make it seem a perfectly natural response to the world, like the first person to say 'Of course, put the meat on the fire. It seems so obvious now.'

To ensure that everything makes perfect sense when looked at backwards, yet will surprise you if you follow it from the beginning.

Best foot forward, stiff upper lip, put on a brave face and step right off that 14th storey window ledge, because of course you can fly. A poet might say:


what's beyond logic happens beneath will;
nor can these moments be translated: i say
that even after April
by God there is no excuse for May
...
each dream nascitur, is not made...)
why then to hell with that: the other; this
since the thing perhaps is
to eat flower and not to be afraid

Then again, another kind of writer might put it differently:

Buckle up. Let's Zen this motherfucker right in the eye!

I think I may just steal that quote, give it a fancy border in MS Word, laminate it, and hang it above my desk.

Best writing advice I ever saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment