Monday, July 4, 2011

Breaking A Sweat...

I'd forgotten about The Science of Paul: A Novel of Crime. When the marketing ramped up, before it was published, I thought to myself 'That sounds jolly interesting,' and forgot all about it. I do that sort of thing.

Then Heath Lowrance mentioned it offhand on his blog and I happened to be almost between books and - guess what? - it's reasonably priced on Kindle and Wow, what a book.

I mean, this Aaraon Philip Clark guy is a talented writer. Talented in that effortless way, where he hardly seems to be trying and as a reader you're breaking a sweat to keep up and re-reading passages because they just sound so damn good. It has a lot of pace and action and seems calm and reflective at the same time. Accumulatively deep without getting heavy, for the most part. And hardboiled to the core.

Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect. Occasionally he hammers away because he seems unsure if his writing is sharp enough to drive the point home. His writing is sharper than the knife edge his protagonist walks, but there you go. This is a first novel, and it's a seriously stylish, assured and well-crafted debut.

I for one can't wait to see what he produces next.

In other news: the rainy season is throwing no surprises over here, and humidity levels are breaking several laws of physics, I'm sure. If anybody knows a cure for sweating, I'm all ears. Yes, I've tried drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment