Friday, April 19, 2013

QotM: American Gods - Neil Gaiman


Everybody’s got a list, right? No, I don’t mean a shitlist, or the list that was in that episode of friends (Audrey Tautou and Kylie Minogue, two and a half times each). And I don’t mean a bucket list. Just a list of (mostly) realistic things that you fully intend to get around to doing in some ill-imagined future perfect life, when you finally get your shit together. Like that book you always forget to remember to finally read, as you have done for the last ten years.

Anyway, here’s a small portion of mine. I’m sure yours looks something similar:

  • Read Neil Gaiman’s American Gods
  • Visit Budapest
  • Live in NYC
  • Find out who Charlemagne was
  • Ditto the Brady Bunch
  • Learn the words to Adestes Fidelis
  • Make a film
  • Eat more fish
  • Inspire a Tom Wait’s song
  • Watch a 6 Nations game at each of the home grounds in one season
  • Sober up
  • Watch Raging Bull
  • Get into jazz, man


I’ve been ticking quite a few things off my list in the last couple of years. Wrote some books, learned the words to Jerusalem, and have got half my head around quantum physics (not the math bit). I even spent last winter boning up on jazz, although I need more time on that. And there’s a ten percent chance I’ll be in New York for a while in the next couple of years.

And finally, finally, I am reading American Gods.

Quote of the Moment: 
“I’ll tell you something,” he said, as if he had said nothing that day. “You’re walking on gallows ground, and there’s a rope around your neck and a raven-bird on each shoulder waiting for your eyes, and the gallows tree has deep roots, for it stretches from heaven to hell, and our world is only the branch from which the rope is swinging.” He stopped. “I’ll rest here a spell,” he said, touching down, his back resting against the black brickwork. 
“Good luck,” said Shadow. 
“Hell, I’m fucked,” said Mad Sweeney. “Whatever. Thanks.”

 American Gods by Neil Gaiman



I’m halfway through, and then it’ll be one more thing ticked off. After that I think I’ll google Charlemagne.

And, yes, Raging Bull. I know.




No comments:

Post a Comment